Description & Purpose: Gives students the opportunity to perform chamber music and explore the realm of ensemble playing with their peers.
Eligibility: This event is open to students of HMTA and non-HMTA teachers without discrepancy in the registration fee.
Registration Deadline: April meeting
1. ELEMENTARY: Pre-K through Grade 5
2. JUNIOR: Grades 6 through 8
3. SENIOR: Grades 9 through 12
4. COLLEGIATE: Enrolled in a college or university
5. ADULT HOBBYIST: Non-professional, age 19 and above
1. CHAMBER MUSIC: Two or more performers with equal parts (no solo with accompaniment), i.e. string trios, quartets, piano trios, brass quintets, woodwind quartets, etc.
2. INSTRUMENTAL ENSEMBLES: All or most of the instruments are of the same design. i.e. trombone quartets, violin trios, etc.(this does not include piano ensembles).
3. PIANO ENSEMBLES: One piano 4-hands, 6-hands, 8-hands, two piano ensembles (duos), and double piano concertos.
4. VOCAL ENSEMBLES: Two or more voices (only one person to a line). Accompanists need not be in the same age division.
5. CHAMBER MUSIC CONCERTOS: i.e. Symphonie Concertante, triple concertos, etc. Accompanists need not be in the same age division.
1. Compositions may be any standard work of any period.
2. No abridged or simplified works are allowed, except with approval of Contest Chair.
3. Pieces should not be less than 2 minutes, and not exceed 15 minutes.
1. Two original scores, without identifying marks, with measures numbered, must be provided for the judges on the day of the contest. Contact the Event Chair for approval of the following: music that is permanently out of print and original contemporary music. Photocopies are allowed, but will not be returned after the contest.
2. Memorization of music is NOT required.
3. Photocopied parts for facilitating page turns during a performance will be allowed. Copies must be neatly contained in a three-ring binder or appropriately bound. No loose pages will be allowed on stage.
4. All members of the ensemble must be in the same age division. If one member of a group is in a higher age division, the average grade of the group will determine their age division.
5. No member of a collegiate group may play in another division.
6. Adults may not participate in the Elementary, Junior or Senior divisions.
7. Accompanists for chamber music concertos may be adults.
8. The accompanists will not be judged.
9. The setting is a Recital Hall, so Formal Attire is required.
1. A Certificate of Participation to all performers
2. 1st, 2nd and 3rd place medals will be awarded at the discretion of the judges for each age category.
3. Four cash prizes will be awarded, one to the top ensemble of each age division. College: $120, High School: $120, Middle School: $90, and Elementary: $60
Registration: Online registration is available for this event.
Fee: $40 per ensemble. Make all checks payable to HMTA.
Teacher Responsibility: See standing Rules #1 and #6.