Activity Expectations & Information for Students
We are glad you want to participate in these events! Please read all the information below so that everyone can have a good time:
– Be sure that you, your parents, and your teacher know what kind of activity you are participating in. There are two basic kinds of HMTA playing activities:
o COMPETITION or CONTEST – An event where the musical artistry of one participant is compared to all the others. The most outstanding performers are recognized with honors.
o FESTIVAL – A musical event whereby each participant is given a critique based solely on his/her own skill level. The performer’s goal is to convey the chosen repertoire with accuracy and conviction.
– When you come to play, be sure that you are dressed for success:
o Boys: Wear a dress shirt (long sleeve preferred), pants, and dress shoes; (tie and jacket are optional).
o Girls: Wear a dress or blouse and skirt/slacks ensemble. Flat dress shoes are suggested; (avoid high heels). No spaghetti strap tops.
o Both: No jewelry on wrists and/or fingers. Pianists need to keep fingernails cut short, and not use colored nail polish. Long hair needs to be pulled back.
– Students bring their music, with measures numbered, and a critique sheet to most events. Check with your teacher about this.
– Arrive early at the event location. Allow plenty of time for parking and to check in at the registration table.
– Some events are open to the public; others are closed. At an open performance, your parents can be a part of the audience. At a closed performance, you will be playing privately for adjudication. (A separate waiting area will be provided for all parents/guardians.)